Cloth and Hardcover Binding
Knowing the specifications of a cloth cover book, which is the same makeup of a hardcover book, is essential to receive true pricing. When contacting a hardcover book printer, you should know the elements of what you want your book to look like to receive accurate quotes. Cloth cover bound books can be created as a coffee table book, novel, artistic book, photography book, and many other book styles.
Below is a list, along with a diagram to explain the binding components of a hardcover book:
- Book Block/Interior Text/Guts – Confirm the interior paper weights, ink coverage inside the book and the type of paper requested.
- End papers/End sheets – The end papers are connected to the case or board. These papers are either a wood free paper or opaque. You have options to print 4 color process, 1 pantone color, or black. Typically, designers prefer an illustration or solid colors.
- Mesh/Mull – You will not see this material inside the book – this is a reinforcement material. There are no special details to provide to the book printer.
- Case – The case is the front and back cover boards, which the cloth is wrapped and glued down upon.
- Cloth – There are many styles of cloth covers – linen, statin, and texture, along with an array of colors to choose. Your printer should send you a swatch book to choose.
- Head and Tail Bands – Little strips of cloth glued and attached to the spine edges, top, and bottom of the book block. Bands are decorations, so they do not add any strength to the binding fundamentals.
- Spine/backbone – The core of the book, and consists of glue and thread which centers the book block.
Cloth hardcover book printing with PRC Book Printing:
There are several options to add to cloth cover bound books, including the option of foil stamping. Standard stamping is on the front cover and spine. You can extend the stamping to the back cover as well if requested. Both front, back, and spine stamps are created on one plate, as long it’s the same color foil. PRC recommends debossing so that the foil won’t flake off after time. Dust jackets are wrapped around the cloth cover to provide further information regarding the interior of the book, author information, and to add the barcode.
PRC Book Printing has been servicing the cloth cover book printing industry for over 11 years. Our representatives will work you through the book dimensions, paper, cloth options, and balance of materials to be sure you receive transparent pricing. PRC Book Printing offers cloth cover book printing services and competitive pricing, starting at a quantity of 500 books. Please call us at 888.639.8320 or email us at email@example.com