Frequently Asked Overseas Printing Questions
We have compiled some of the most common and important questions about book printing in China or Overseas Book printing below. If you have additional questions, please contact us for assistance.
1. What certifications does the factory have? Certifications are important because the factory has to adhere to rules and regulations to maintain operations.
2. How are they quoting the shipping? Most printers quote their project FOB, and that doesn’t include all the shipping costs.
PRC Book Printing quotes every project DDP (Delivered, Duty and Paid), unless otherwise noted. Quoting DDP destination includes “all” shipping costs. This way there are no surprises after the book has been delivered unlike FOB when you receive another bill (extra charges or hidden charges). Always ask for DDP destination!!!!
3. Are you comparing printing quotes with the same specifications (apples to apples)? Even a slight change in specs could change the cost dramatically.
PRC Book Printing will quote your specs and will provide recommendations based on your project. Our objective is to print a book that is high quality at the lowest possible price.
4. Can the printer provide printed samples to review their quality?
PRC Book Printing will send you printed samples that are similar to your project, but better yet we will send you an unprinted dummy. A dummy is the exact book we quoted you with the paper and binding that your finished product will look and feel like.
5. How reliable is the printer and can they provide references?
6. How environmental friendly is the factory? This is important because China is known for pollutions and disregard to the environment.
7. At what resolution should I save my photos and graphics?
8. Why do the printed colors look different from the colors on my screen?
9. What is your typical turn-around time for overseas printing?
Standard turn-around time for printing from China is 10 -12 weeks. This time frame can vary depending on the project, proofing, production and shipping. PRC Printing will handle all export and import for your projects.
10. Consumer Product Safety Act-Section 103(a) (Children books audience 12 years and under)
Tracking Labels: Section 103(a) of this law requires manufacturers to have a tracking label or other distinguishing permanent mark on any consumer product primarily intended for children twelve and younger. The tracking label must contain certain basic information, including the source of the product, the date of manufacture and more detailed information on the manufacturing process such as a batch or run number. (Please contact us for more information or view www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103.html )
11. What are different types of shipping terminology? -For further info on shipping terms visit our BLOG!
FOB– Free on Board: Shipped under a rate that includes costs of delivery to and the loading onto a carrier at a specified point. CIF– Cost, Insurance & Freight: Seller paid costs necessary to bring the goods to the named port of destination, also includes marine insurance loss or damage to goods during the ocean shipment. Buyer pays customs, port processing fees, warehouse fees and inland transit. DDP – Delivered Duty Paid: Seller delivered goods at the named destination and pay charges of delivering the goods to be cleared at custom. All port, custom, warehouse, insurance and inland freight are paid by the seller.
12. What type of proofing do you offer?
PDF – Referred as digital or soft proofing. This is emailed/loaded to an ftp site for you to review the layout, text and images. This proof offers a preliminary review that all of the art files you provided have been received. Blue lines/Ozalids – Inexpensive, photographic proofing where all the colors are shown in blue or another color. This is used to check placement of text and images, cropping and page sequence. This proof is not used for checking color. High Res Hard Digital – Our digital proofs are imaged using profiles certified by the International Standards Organization (ISO). These profiles represent the color of your supplied file on either a coated or uncoated paper. The proof is a representation of the final output, printed on proofing paper, and therefore cannot be matched exactly to every variation. Press Proof – Most expensive proofing, involves using a press to generate a printed image before the actual press run. This is used mainly to replicate printing processes using the actual plates, inks and paper.
13. How are they quoting the shipping? Most printers quote their project FOB, and that doesn’t include all the shipping costs.
PRC Book Printing quotes every project DDP (Delivered, Duty and Paid), unless otherwise noted. Quoting DDP destination includes “all” shipping costs to your loading dock. This way there are no surprises after the book has been delivered unlike FOB when you receive another bill (extra charges or hidden fees). Always ask for DDP destination and mention if you will be delivering to a commercial or residential address.
14. How do I get an ISBN number and barcode?
To purchase an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) you can order online through R.R. Bowker: www.isbn.org Current pricing as of December 2014, to purchase 1 ISBN# and barcode the cost is USD$150. If you purchase 10-ISBN#’s and barcode (if you are producing a series or multiple editions of books) the current price is USD$300 (current pricing taken from R.R. Bowker website 12/17/14, does not include taxes, fees or whatever is applicable).
15. How do I copyright my book?
There are three fundamentals to complete the registration of your book/books: 1. Completed copyright application. 2. (Non-refundable) filing fee. 3. (Non-refundable) deposit also non return of the copy/copies of your book. Where do you file such an application: www.copyright.gov. Usually filing is completed after the book production.
16. What type of binding do you offer?
We offer many types of binding methods, here are a few:
- Smyth Sewn & Case Binding
- Perfect Binding
- Saddle Stitch/Wire Binding
- Wire-O Binding
- Spiral Bound
- Concealed Wire-O
- Sewn and Perfect Binding
17. What type of paper do you offer?
We offer coated papers, offset paper, wood free papers… We will assist you with different weights and coatings. Once we are in touch via email or telephone we can learn more about your project and offer paper recommendations fit for your quality book.
18. Is there a minimum Quantity printing overseas?
Depending on the interior page count, size and binding style, an example a hardcover children’s book, 32 pages, 4 color throughout we recommend customer to print at least 1,000 copies to make it worth while. As a rule of thumb, anything that’s quoted domestically for $3000 or under is a good fit, printing overseas shipping can cost up to 35% of the job.
19. Do you offer Overseas Digital Printing Services?
We can produce digital printing but the cost will be equivalent to printing domestically, due to the shipping costs. Our forte is Offset Printing.
20. Other Specialty projects you can offer?
We can offer most boxes, CD’s, DVD and CD-ROM, Flash Drives,Ribbons, Bags,Posters,Playing Cards, Slip Cases, Touch and Feel Board books,envelopes and much more. If your project requires handwork, overseas is great due to the low cost of labor.
Request A Quote
For more Information do not HESITATE — contact PRC BOOK PRINTING NOW.
CALL 888.659.8320 or Email us!